Freecall Free Call ChemCert 1800 444 228

Queensland Legislation

Queensland Legislation

In Queensland, a valid Commercial Operators Licence (also known as ACDC or COL Licence) is required for persons who are distributing herbicides using ground equipment (any machine or apparatus other than an aircraft) on property that is not (source):

-Owned by themselves

-Owned by a relative (a spouse, child, parent, sibling, grandparent or grandchild)

-Land owned by an employer for agriculture or pasture purposes

-Unallocated state land

Those applying herbicides using hand-powered equipment on land that they don’t own or occupy, also require a Commercial Operators Licence. Click on the link to find out more.

Successful completion of the ChemCert AQF3 course and the elective unit Control Weeds allows participants to apply to the Business Queensland for a Queensland Commercial Operators Licence, this is under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Control Act 1966.

New Chemical Users in Queensland

If you currently work or have previously worked interstate in the occupation of applying herbicides for commercial weed control and you intend to continue this occupation in Queensland, you will need to obtain a Queensland commercial operator's licence.

Hazardous Areas 1,2 and 3

If you apply herbicides in any of these areas, other than by an authorised technique, you will require a distribution permit. More information about the hazardous areas in Queensland is available here.

Commercial operator’s licence process

1. Complete ChemCert Course AQF3 and the elective unit Control Weeds

2. Fill in the online application (Online form) and send a certified copy of the ChemCert statement of attainment to Business Queensland and apply, for a term of one or three years.

For more information please visit

For general information, please refer to your local state authorities websites:

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry – QLD

Biosecurity Queensland 


Last Updated March 2018.