New South Wales

Under the NSW Pesticides Act 1999 anyone who uses pesticides in his job or business must be trained and hold a valid licence.

The term pesticides includes herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, bactericides, baits, lures and rodenticides (rat poison).

Also, under the Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Act 2011, anyone who uses hazardous chemicals must be trained.

ChemCert AQF 3 Accreditation enables participants to use, purchase and spray restricted chemicals and pesticides unsupervised and it is recognised by the Office of Environment and Heritage as meeting the training requirements of the NSW Pesticides Act 1999.

Ground Applicator Licence

If you use pesticides as part of your work you should be aware there have been some changes to training and licensing requirements in NSW. From 1 July 2018 individuals who spray weeds for fee or reward must hold a ground applicator licence. If you engage or contract a ground applicator it is your responsibility to ensure they hold the required licence.

Please view the factsheet from the EPA if you are unsure about whether your work requires the licence

What do I need to apply for one?

To apply for a ground applicator licence you need to have completed the ChemCert AQF3 Chemical Accreditation and attained the units. These training requirements, including the approved units of competency, can be found on the EPA website. The licence period is five years; in order to reapply you must hold a current ground applicator licence.

How do I apply for the Licence?

You can do this online, simply navigate to the following EPA hosted application page.

You will need to have a copy of your AQF3 Chemical Accreditation Certificate/SOA to provide the EPA as part of the application process.

Once you have obtained your ground applicator licence you will not be required to complete the five-yearly retraining as long as you hold a current licence. However, it is always a good idea to ensure you keep your work skills up to date